Monday, October 8, 2012

Snack Time, again...

As a working mom I am always trying to find easier, quicker ways to feed my family healthy foods.  I love to cook but sometimes we run out of time.  Like most families we have so many commitments and activities that we rarely all sit down together for a home cooked meal. 

I also hate the amount of snacks everyone eats in a day.  If they were all fruits and veggies I would love it, but packaged snacks not so much.  I love reading other blogs about moms who say they pack cut up veggies for snacks everyday and that their kids lunch boxes are so colorful with healthy foods.  Really?!!    I'm here to say that is not the case in my house or most houses.  Yes, we offer fruits and veggies and sometimes they are taken, but most of the times its please pass the chips, bagels, pretzels, goldfish... 

Now some enlightened person told me not to buy anything I would not like them to eat.  Sounds good in theory but do I really want my family to starve.  The whining and complaining they are hungry with "nothing to eat" would be torture. Sound familiar?  Besides I have learned they will find a way to get the foods they want anyway.  If they go out of the the house with any money at all I can guarantee that candy will always be the purchase.

I have one child who really eats almost nothing so any item I post that my family likes almost never includes him.  So most of the time I am only cooking or baking for a family of three. 

I found this great breakfast recipe that you bake once and cut and reheat for the week.  I altered it just a bit and made it in a muffin pan, wrapped and froze each one. 
If I take one out in the morning by snack time at school or work it is defrosted and perfect.  You can still reheat if you want or eat cold.  It is also makes a great warm dessert when made in a pan a scooped out. 

I have one snack done, now I just need 3 more!

Ingredients:

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup of any nut sliced or chopped (I like cinnamon coated almonds)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup honey (I like to use flavored honey, blueberry or raspberry is great)
1 cup skim milk
2 large egg
1 egg white
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh blueberries or raspberries (you can use almost any fruit you prefer)

 

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Lightly grease a muffin tin. I like the silicone ones so the muffins pop right out.
In a medium bowl, mix the oats, the nuts, baking powder, and cinnamon. 
Stir to combine.
In a separate small bowl combine the honey, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
3. Combine bowls and mix.
4. Add berries and bananas and mix gently.
5. Scoop mixture into muffin tins.  Allow room at top so liquid does not seep out.
6.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
7.  Wrap individually and freeze. 





 

No comments: